Empowered Girls, Empowered Futures
The fact that the equality of men and women is not fully achieved in Turkey is based on various reasons that are related with each other. As for women the current problems they face within their families, in social life, education, at work, and in politics are closely related to the fact that the gender equality approach is not accepted by different parts of the society. In this context, it is necessary for women to receive a high quality education starting from early ages in order to be able to freely fulfill their own potential and desires in line with their individual choices, and to fight against gender inequality as active individuals within the family and in social life, at work and in politics.
The Aydın Doğan Foundation carries out a wide range of activities from education to labor to ensure gender equality in the society, and to empower young women in particular.
These efforts are carried out through the following stages:
- Research and development: Conducting researches and developing content/programs to strengthen gender equality within the society through education and training. Furthermore, to implement pilot applications if needed.
- Service provision: Respecting the needs of the target audience by creating content and programs through researches, and with the participation of the recipients in need.
- Scholarships: Develop scholarship programs with a focus on needs and achievements in specific cases, and implement them in a consistent manner.
- Advocacy and communication: To inform the public about social gender equality in Turkey and to carry out advocacy and communication activities in order to contribute to public policy practices and related stakeholder efforts within the scope of the activities that are carried out.
The girls' dormitories built within the scope of theThe starting point of this model is "ensure the participation of girls in the society as productive individuals", which is one of the main objectives of the "Daddy Send Me to School" movement conducted by the Aydın Doğan Foundation.
As the Aydın Doğan Foundation, we have played our part in this journey first by having 5 female dormitories built, and now by working hard for our girls through the name and philosophy of BBOG by diversifying our work even further, under the roof of the Aydın Doğan Foundation.The “Daddy, Send Me to School” movement, whose main objective is to spread the education mobilization throughout Turkey and make sure that every girl goes to school, has been designed and applied as a three dimensional project including financial aid
- The objectives of the International Day of the Girl Child that has been celebrated since 2012 correspond to the aims and activities of the Aydın Doğan Foundation.
- The Aydın Doğan Foundation is working towards the education of girls and ensuring that women have individual rights and are empowered. To that end, the Foundation supports those institutions conducting profound research regarding education and women’s issues and commissioning research in the determined areas.
- Every year, the Aydın Doğan Foundation, invites the three most successful sophomore students residing in the “Daddy, Send Me to School” dormitories to İstanbul for a week- with their teachers.
- The managers and teachers of the 33 female student dormitories opened up within the scope of the “Daddy, Send Me to School” movement received 1-week training in November 17-21, 2014 in İstanbul.
- One of the aims of the Aydın Doğan Foundation is to award education scholarships to university students who are dedicated to the principles of Turkey' founding father Ataturk, and who feel connected to their nation, are strong in character, trustworthy, and who are successful, but in need of financial support.